Shivaree \SHIV-uh-ree\, noun:
1. A mock serenade with kettles, pans, horns, and other noisemakers given for a newly married couple.
2. An elaborate, noisy celebration.
1. To serenade with a shivaree.
I used to attend shivarees and I can remember the preparation and planning involved.
-- "Of pigs, jokes, and marriage." Lawrence World-Journal.
When my father got married (yes that was the 50's) his male relatives pulled a "shivaree," where they set up all kinds of surprises for the newly married couple to find on their wedding night. This included the typical short sheeting of the wedding bed, changing the content of the groom's shaving cream can, and other gags.
-- Isaac Grant Thompson, Irving Browne, Kentucky Folklore Record.
>> May 30, 2010
>> May 28, 2010
1. chips, iced tea, grilled fish -- the best food to take on a picnic.
2. Summer is beginning to say good bye..
3. I love wearing flip flops.
4. To love someone is to accept him for whatever and whoever he is.
5. Our chairman went through a long hike when he climbed Mt. Pulag.
6. When I crave food, it's usually something salty.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to preparing my list for the little girl's birthday, tomorrow my plans include waking up early to go to the market and Sunday, I want to take her to Fun Ranch to enjoy her birthday!
More fill-ins here.
>> May 27, 2010
Regnant \REG-nuhnt\, adjective:
1. Prevalent; widespread.
2. Reigning; ruling (usually used following the noun it modifies): a queen regnant.
3. Exercising authority, rule, or influence.
The mere fact that it was the regnant authority in the State of Louisiana at that time does not give validity or legality to its acts or its officers.
-- Isaac Grant Thompson, Irving Browne, The American Reports (Volume 20); Containing All Decisions of General Interest Decided in the Courts of Last Resort of the Several States
On the superlative opening track "Dance Yrself Clean" Murphy mutters over pattering percussion before erupting into a crisp, feel-good, electronic frenzy. "I miss the way the night comes/ With friends who always make it feel good/ This basement has a cold glow/ Though it's better than a bunch of others," he laments, foreshadowing the more sentimental tone regnant throughout.
-- Raghav Mehta, Review: LCD Soundsystem's "This is Happening" Minnesota Daily
>> May 26, 2010
1. Lot's of blessings online
2. A hot coffee
3. Breakfast prepared by DH
4. A safe ride to work
5. Good news...good news!
6. An email from someone..giving me another opportunity to earn extra :)
7. Work loads....I miss
8. An easy ride home
>> May 25, 2010
1. What time did you get up this morning? 6AM
2. How do you like your steak? Should be well done.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? "Here Comes the Bride"(gave me a good laugh)
4. What is your favorite TV show? Glee
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Still here
6. What did you have for breakfast? Rice, Ham and Egg
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Chinese
8. What foods do you dislike? Sushi or sashimi
9. Favorite place to eat? French Baker and Any chinese resto
10. Favorite dressing? Thousand Island. Ceasar.
11. What kind of vehicle do you drive? I don’t drive yet.
12. What are your favorite clothes? Jeans and T-shirt.
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, Canada
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Half full
15. Where would you want to retire? Here!
16. Favorite time of day? Night time
17. Where were you born? Manila.
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? None
19. Who do you think will not
20. Person you expect to
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? No one, lol!
22. Birdwatcher? nope
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night person
24. Do you have any pets? None yet. But I love to to have a dog
25. Any new and exciting news you’d like to share? It's my daughter's 4th birthday on Sunday
26. What did you want to be when you were little? Doctor
27. What is your best childhood memory? Playing under the moonlight
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Dog.
29. Are you married? Yes.
30. Always wear your seat belt? Yup.
31. Been in a car accident? Not really a car but a motorcycle
32. Any pet peeves? None
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Cheese, Bacon and Pineapple
34. Favorite Flower? Roses
35. Favorite ice cream? Double Dutch
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? McDonald's and KFC
37. How many times did you fail your driver’s test? none.
38. From whom did you get your last email? Yahoo groups
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? dept. store and supermarket
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? Blogging
41. Like your job? not that much.
42. Broccoli? Love it.
43. What was your favorite vacation? Baler, Aurora 2003
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? Hubby
45. What are you listening to right now? nothing
46. What is your favorite color? White, Blue, Mocha/Cream
47. How many tattoos do you have? none.
48. How many are you tagging for this quiz? none
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 9:49 PM
50. Coffee drinker? Sometimes.
>> May 24, 2010
Suspire \suh-SPAHY-uhr\, verb:
To utter with long, sighing breaths.Examples:
The beleaguered alligator will rise on his stubby legs, distend his body, open wide his cavernous jaws, suspire what is supposed to be a dreadful hiss but sounds more like a tired sigh, and then ferociously clash his jaws together.
-- Archibald Rutledge, Monsters of the Swamp
For, since the birth of Cain, the first male child,/ To him that did but yesterday suspire,/ There was not such a gracious creature born.
-- William Shakespeare, The life and death of King John
>> May 21, 2010
1. My kids never fail to make me smile.
2. I'm looking forward to my daughter's birthday on the 30th.
3. Chris Tomlin-God of this City is what I'm listening to right now.
4. Potato salad must have mayo in it!
5. Mango Torte was the best thing I ate today.
6. Today was toxic..I need to recharge!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to sleeping early, tomorrow my plans include going back to the hospital to get my Operating Procedure and Sunday, I want to attend church!
>> May 19, 2010
1. Johan's mumblings and cute quirking.
2. Great online job pay
3. Because of that was able to buy the little girls school things.
4. The sound of Johan's squeals and laughter.
5. A good news from a good friend.
6. New Mascara
9. "Here Comes the Bride" movie
10. Kisses from hubs and the little girl
>> May 18, 2010
>> May 11, 2010
>> May 9, 2010
>> May 8, 2010
1. Salsa and taco..good combination!.
2. A tuna sandwich looks yummy... and you've even got mustard...that's great!
3. By the time I get home the baby is already sleeping.
4. Items on sale is what I look forward to most when grocery shopping.
5. And I was dreaming of our own home.
6. A kiss from mommy...is there anything else better?!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to sleeping early, tomorrow my plans include finishing all household chores so we can go out and hit the mall and Sunday, I want to relax and study my list for the election on Monday!